Thursday, December 3, 2009

Joined a gym Dec 3

After a good night of drinking woke up on the later side this morning, but still had plenty of time before class. Ate some breakfast, took my shower, and was able to talk to my brother on skype. He always puts a smile on my face because of the things he says. Met his girlfriend over skype, which is sort of odd and said hello to Evan and Ashley. What a great way to start off the day! Once our conversation was over, packed up for school and made myself a PB&J sandwich. Trying to live a little bit cheaper for the next week or so until I get paid. Headed to school with Max and had a nice talk during our 30 minute walk. Always better to walk with somebody than alone, just makes it go by quicker. Got to school about 10 minutes before class started, so I quickly checked that I had everything ready to go.
Headed to my first class which all of you should know by now is at 12:50. Started incorporating the advice Analisa gave me and it worked. I was a little bit stricter and made them be 'good students' which is when they all shut up and put their hands in their lap and sit up straight. It is really funny to see. So that class went smoother, but you have to remember they are only six, so they have to have some fun. That class ended and headed to my next one. These children a tiny bit older, but still very young. Had snack time (first time since I've been here), and ate a lovely orange. Every thursday for this class we have P.E., so didnt really teach them anything because we only had 20 minutes and it took them awhile to peel those oranges. Went to PE where the other co-teacher controlled the games. None of the children really understood, but I guess they had a good time. Class ended and now had break time where I took out my sandwich and chips and scarfed it down. Sandwich complete and began some planning for the next day. Once break time ended headed to my next class and had 4 back to back. The last class came and went and now I was done for the day. I get done at 6 on Thursday, so I did some more planning and met with one of my other Korean Teachers to talk about our class.
*side note- I dont know if I mentioned this yesterday, but in one of my classes there is an it and thought for these first few weeks it was a girl, but while talking to the Korean teacher about it and she keep referring to it as a him I had to stop her and ask whether it was a girl or a boy. It is a boy and I told her I thought it was a girl. She laughed and said it has happened before. The boy is named Rex (a guys name I guess). Long straight hair moved to the left side of his face. Girl glasses, body type small, sat with the girls and talked like one. Give me a break, it was funny.
Back to today after talking with her about a class did some telephone teaching. Everyone answered except one, damn that kid.
Once that was finished, I asked one of the Korean Teachers (KT is what i am abbreviating it from now on) to translate some questions for me that I had for the gym I wanted to sign up for. She translated, "can I pay monthly, can you show me around, what are the hours, and is there a uniform? Like I said before everyone in there was wearing the same thing. After she translated that I thanked her said goodbye to everyone and headed out the door with my earphones on.
The Gym!
Headed up the stairs towards the gym which is on the fourfth floor of this random building. While walking up the stairs there are pictures of just American body builders men and women. This is going to be an experience. Opened the door and saw the guy(guessing the owner) I spoked to yesterday. Whipped out my sheet of paper with the translations on it and tried to communicate with him. He understood some english, but could tell this was not going to be easy. He wrote down the answers in Korean and knew that wasn't going to be any help. I understood the times and him willing to show me around, but payment was key. Luckily a man by the name of choi came to save the day. Even though he did not know English very well at all, he knew enough to be our mediator. Everyone was very nice and we finally got the price worked out. 200,000 won for six months which is dirt cheap, even by American standards. I was happy and ready to leave, but then Choi insisted on me working out with him, so of course I agreed. He took me down the stairs to the locker room. I dont know if we have to wear this uniform or not, but for now I am going to, it consists of a gray t-shirt that says Seven Fitness on it and blue shorts. Don't know the material, but not very breathable. After getting dressed went back upstairs to workout. Rode the bike, and then started lifting some weights. I didn't want to be there long, but felt obligated because Choi was so nice and also enjoyed hanging out with him. To note he is 46 years old, but ages nicely. Did not think he was that old. He already invited me to his house for dinner and wants me to teach him english and he would teach me Korean. We will see if that happens. Also, during the workout he pointed out that I had a beautiful nose, which I immediately knew what he meant; I have a huge nose to the korean standard. It was pretty funny and we laughed about it. After our workout, we went back downstairs to the locker room where we sat in this sauna room for briefly a minute. He says it is a must in Korean culture, so I agreed. Once that was over, he handed me to small ass towels, which are Korean bath towels (b/c they are short, I guess) and had a shower. What a great experience! Got dressed and headed out with him, he went left and I went right back home. I enjoyed meeting him and greatly appreciated his help and hopefully will see him soon. The nicest Korean I have met thus far! Came home and made some pasta.
The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment