Saturday, December 5, 2009

Apsan Mountain Dec 5

Saturday, how can you complain about a day off work, I know I can't. Waking up is still weird for me because I do not have a clock in my room and always think I am oversleeping for school during the week or just wasting the day over the weekend. I think I need to find a cheap alarm click for my room. Moving on, got up around 11 and was moving pretty slow and still pretty sore from the gym. What to do today? I looked out the window and it seemed sunny with a little bit of overcast. I asked Max if he wanted to go hiking and he was like 'hell yeah'. We decided to head to Apsan Mountain after we ate our I think new and becoming ritual of the weekend of eggs and toast. He had a cheese omelet and I had my sunny side up eggs with an orange. It was delicious and was ready to get this day going. We hopped in a cab and headed to the mountain not knowing what to expect. We also realized while in the cab we forgot our lonely planet guide to help us around the mountain, oh well this should be an experience. Everything is an experience here, because you are all the way across the world.
Get to the mountain, and it just looks beautiful. We start walking toward the cable cars because we assume that is where we are supposed to go. On the way up we saw this war memormial, a monestary, and some other statues. It was really neat and I couldn't wait to get up the actual mountain. As we arrive to the building for the cable cars I noticed there is an out door gym that is equipped with everything one needs to work out. Free weights, machines, bench presses, and the what not. It was 40 degrees out with a strong wind and old men were still working out, that was great. We bought our lift tickets and got on the cable car. Max, afraid of heights was holding on to a hand bar for dear life. I of course cracked some jokes at him for being afraid of heights. As we were waiting for the car to move I start walking around the thing because it is only 5 of us and am wondering why we arent moving. Didnt realize there was a set time for it to go, so we found out by one of the Koreans pointing at his watch to us. As I moved toward the opposite direction of Max I sit down and this Korean guy starts talking to me in English. I was amazed how good is English was, better than Choi at the gym. This man went by the name of Lim, 30 years old and a doctor. He apparently, was getting away from his wife and stress and just wanted some 'ventilation'. We talked all the way up the cable car and as we got off he offered us to show us around. He immediately accepted and once again made a new friend for the day and hopefully longer. He told us about his career and that he is working for the army now and that him and his wife are fighting and he struggles with her. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time. Everywhere you go, you find someone struggling with their relationship. Moving on, the scenery was breathtaking. We were so high and could get a real sense of how big Daegu actually is. It is huge, and the mountains surrounding it are unbelievable. We kept walking higher and higher and the building got smaller and smaller to the point that they looked like leg gos. It was awesome! The only downside to the day was that it was real windy and damn cold, but that did not stop us from having an amazing day. As we sat at the highest point on the mountain, just talking and enjoying the view, Lim pointed out where we lived and also pointed out some other locations to us. After spending a couple hours on the mountain we headed down because he had to be at work soon and it was getting really cold. Heading back down on the cable car Lim offered to take us to lunch near his house. We of course accepted and headed toward his house for him to pick up his work gear and car. He told us to wait in the car because he did not want us to come in the 'war zone', and so we did. His house looked beautiful and later came to find out that his wife's dad gave it to them so he hates it and wants to be able to buy a house on his own. Respectable. So we headed to lunch and of course it was galbi. He order some special pork for us and it was a lot tastier than the same old stuff we always get. I would say top 3 since I've been here. After a nice conversation and lunch, Lim had to get to work, so we exchanged email info and he gave us his cell phone number. We do not have ours yet, so we were unable to do so. We said goodbye and hopped in a cab toward our apartment. The cab driver seemed confused to where we were headed and was talking to us like we knew perfect Korean. I was laughing the whole time and we eventually made it to our apartment. Exhausted from the day, took a nap and now getting ready to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment