Tuesday, June 29, 2010

6/29

The Choi Dinner

Had dinner with my gym buddy Choi, could be the last time seeing him. He took me to a traditional Korean restaurant, which was called Grandma in-law's house. It was an actual house that was transformed into a little restaurant. No menu, they prepare what they have for you. The first course was pumpkin soup. It was thick, but very tasteful. I was happy with the first course. The second course was a little bigger, bringing some pork, seaweed salad, kimchi, squid, radish with vegetables, and beef pachan. This was also very good. Then the third course comes. I would like to call this the fish course. Different dishes had different ways of serving the fish. Dry fish, a whole fish that was fried, anchovies, fish soup, rice, and pumpkin leaves. Choi made me try everything, which I am glad that I did. He also made me try a fish eye, which is another food I can check of my list of most interesting things I have eaten. The final course was fruit and Cheywea tea. A fruit tea that is very sweet and is a cure for stomach aches.
Although I was not full it was a good experience to have before I leave. After dinner he drove me to his son's highschool to pick him up at 9PM. It is a private school of all boys. Reminded me of a prison almost. Three floors. The first floor is for first year students, second floor second year, and third floor third year. 1st and 2nd year end mandatory studying at 9 whereas the 3rd year at at 11:30. The night doesnt end for them their, because some go to hagwons and the rest go to the library till 1 or 2am. And by the way, it seems like if you are not studying hard enough or being destructive you can get physical punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment