Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A weekend of Sports 6/12-13

The World Cup begins and the Soccer buzz is in the air in Daegu. The Korean Red Devils are ready to bounce back and try to have a repeat performance from 2002. Saturday night was their first game against Greece and it was a fun one. Before we get there let me start you off at the beginning of the day.

Saturday morning, I woke up around 11. Noticed that we didnt have any bread in the house so, I had to resort to my second favorite meal of an apple and peanut butter. Yummy! After the meal, I headed to the gym to kick my own butt for how lazy I have been lately and not getting there. And I did just that and also ran into my long time friend Choi, who I havent seen in a while. We chatted while working out and made a plan to have dinner before I leave this beautiful city. Finished working out and then went to the grocery store to pick up some essentials. Came back to the apartment, made some lunch and put in a load of laundry. While relaxing, made plans for the big game soccer game. The plan was to meet people at Duryu park at 7:30.
Max and I left our place with Danni at 6:45 and arrived at the subway to meet Jen and Jay, however Jay not feeling so well decided to stay home and sleep it off. Rode the subway to Duryu to meet up with Kasey (KT) and Iris (gf). Picked up some drinks and food and were on the way to the park. The atmosphere was incredible, everyone was excited and ready for the soccer game. Chanting the cheers, wearing red, all in one area is quite amazing. Thousands upon thousands were at this park, so it took us awhile to find a spot for us to sit. Even though we could barely see the screens the atmosphere and cell phones with TV's made it no problem to enjoy the game. Fireworks, singers, and dancers made the night even more memorable not including the 2-0 win over Greece! It was a great night that didnt stop there.
After the game we departed from the park, Iris, and Kasey and headed downtown to try and stay up for the 3:30am USA game. Hung around the usual spots, including the new kebab place that satisfies even the slightest hunger. 1:30 came around and it did not look good for me. I was getting bored and just wanted to go home, so Danni and I got a cab back to our building.
I bought some snacks for the game laid down on my bed with my music on and the next thing I know, my music is blaring into my ears, the sunlight is coming through my window and my head is pounding. So I immediately turn off my music, look at the time (6am), go to the bathroom, and then fix the blanket over my window to make it dark. Went back to sleep and then woke up again at 1:30 to a text message.

Which brings me to SUNDAY at 1:30. Wake up feeling pretty good. Ask Max if he watched the game and he did a similar thing as me. Ended up being a tie. Asked what he was doing today and he mentioned that we should go to the baseball game. I am always down for baseball, so invited Iris because I knew she had never been to one. The game was at 5, we arrived at the stadium at 4 to get good seats because last time we didnt get in the cheering section. Unfortunately, this time we didnt need to arrive to early because it was pretty empty. The weather was hot, the beer was cold, Max on one side, Iris on the other, and baseball in front of me. I couldnt ask for anything more.

It was a great weekend with time winding down on this incredible experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment