Monday, May 24, 2010

A weekend in Seoul (Friday)

Friday
Woke up around 8 to leave for the KTX. Our train left Daegu at 9:30, so we all met at the station at 9. It was Evan, Kodi(his gf), Danni(ENT), Catherine(ENT), Patrick(ENT that is dating Cat), and me. In addition to us, we saw some of our KT's Kasey and Iris. We arrived in Seoul at 11:20 or so and decided to go to the Palaces. The first palace was called Gyeongbokgung. It was spectacular. I tried to put my mindset to see how they lived back in the day. The vast area of the palace is just incredible and to think it was all for the king. At this palace I got to try on a guards uniform and walk around the area like I was a guard. Some people actually came up to me to take a photo thinking I was one of the guards that worked there. After exploring the palace for a while, we all left and headed to Insadong, which is an area that has many tea shops and lots of artsy food. I was famished and needed something to eat, unfortunately Patrick was leading us on a journey to find these burgers that were a piece of art. All I wanted was some food, so I stopped following him and just ate a sandwich with Evan, his gf, and the KT's. Once lunch was finished we all regrouped and decided what was next.
I wanted to see the other palace where the girls wanted to shop. So we split off; Patrick, the KT's, and I went to Changdeokgung Palace. Another amazing palace, just as big and even more beautiful. The scenery was beautiful, but unfortunately the secret garden was closed so we couldnt get in there. Once we finished touring the palace the KT's left us while Patrick and I went to a Temple that had 3 big Buddhas. There were thousands of people there coming to pray because it was Buddha's birthday. It was a cool experience to see. After that Patrick and I headed to our hostel which was in Hongdae. We met everyone there, took showers and got ready for the evening.
We all decided on Thai food, which was decent. I had the Padseeyu and some spring rolls. Afterwards, we headed to a bar Storm, where the windows had water falling from them. It was neat, but after one drink decided to get out and start the party. Walked around for a bit till we saw some signs that said 1.50 tequila and vodka shots. This was dangerous and could have ended up disastrous, but luckily did not. It was at a bar/club called Gorilla. Met a Korean woman named Angela who possibly could have been the flakiest girl I had ever met. Ask the same questions over and over. Ask me for permission to use the bathroom. It was very weird and funny, and I called her the Korean Catherine. We left the bar around 1, a pretty early night because we had such a long and great day. Came back to the hostel and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment