Monday, May 24, 2010

Seoul (Sat and Sun)

Saturday
Woke up at 10, got ready for the day. Had brunch, then headed to Itaewon for some shopping and a new part of town. In addition to shopping, there was a Subway sandwich shop, which of course I indulged myself upon. Also bought myself some souvenirs (shot glass and a t-shirt). It started to rain a little, but that didnt stop us or the women who were on a mission to shop till they dropped. Went to Myeondong market/stores that sold American clothes and sizes, which was heaven for most the women. I was not very excited for this so I decided to go with Evan to walk around and see some of the city. Walked south of the city, saw a beautiful stream that had paper lanterns across it for Buddha's birthday. Walked around there for a bit then saw two huge statues in the distance and walked towards them. One was a statue of Admiral Yi Sun Shin who help win the war over the Japanese and the second was of King Sejong who started the Korean alphabet. Underneath these statues was a museum for both men. It was unexpected, but very informative.
The rain started to pick up, so we headed back to the hostel. Kicked off the shoes and relaxed for a bit. Once everyone was ready to go we headed to a Mexican restaurant. Had some fajitas and margaritas, which were both very good. Finished dinner and headed to some bars. The bars were alright, but the rain started to pick up and people started to get moody. Also, our group was pretty big because we met up with some more friends so it was difficult to coordinate and agree on things. In the end we split off and 4 of us just went to Darts bar to throw darts for a couple hours. Left to go home, but the rain really started to pick and I didnt have an umbrella, so I ran home by myself to leave Kodi and Evan behind who were walking slowly. Unfortunately, when I got to the hostel the gate was locked, I didnt have a key, my phone was out of money and people were asleep. There were two options I had; wait for Evan or climb the fence. I chose the latter and was successful.

Sunday
Woke up around the same time ate brunch, shopped around Hongdae for a while. Had to check out of the hostel so we went to Seoul station to drop off our stuff in some lockers. Then a few of us went to Namdaemun market, which had a bunch of knock offs and some other cool things. There was a foreign market, but it was closed so some were disappointed. After walking around for awhile headed to N tower (Seoul tower). We were going to take the cable car, but it was running very slowly to do weather, so thought about a cab, until he told us a ridicoulous price. Evan, Kodi, and Danni didnt want to walk up so they went to a cafe and I walked up by myself. It was a nice little hike with amazing views. I was walking up a forest/mountain of trees, which were very green. Got to the top, explored a little then went to the top of the tower. Saw how big Seoul was, which was really big. So in my seven months here I have been to Seoul tower, Woobang tower (Daegu), Busan tower, and Tokyo tower.

After the tower met back with the group to come back to Daegu. Overall, great weekend and enjoyed exploring Seoul. However, Seoul is too big for me and not my type of city. I am really happy I was placed in Daegu.

No comments:

Post a Comment