I would have to say since Ive been here that this seems to have been the longest week. I do not know why, maybe because the week before was a short week, but this week just kept dragging on and on. I asked other people what they thought and they agreed with me. So since this was such a long week with not much going on I would like to reflect and talk about what I have observed since I have been in this country.
First, I would like to name this country, the Country of Mirrors. I have never seen a culture, especially the younger generation so infatuated with themselves. Everywhere you turn there is someone looking at themselves in a mirror or something that has become a mirror. I swear though, even the most random places have mirrors and you have to do a double take of why they have a mirror there, but then you remember you are in Korea. However, if for some strange ungodly reason they dont have a mirror in hand, there is no doubt they make something into one such as a bus window, a restaurant window, or any window or object that makes a reflection so they can do makeup or just to make sure they look good. Just like there is a law in America for talking on cell phones while driving there should be a law here for women looking in mirrors while walking. I have had many close encounters in almost running into them because they are too fixated on themselves than where they are going. It is absolutely ridiculous how many times a day they looked at themselves and sadly it has started to rub off on me.
I am know where near addicted to the mirror as they are, but I used to never care about what I looked like or spent much time in front of the mirror. However, I have noticed the more and more I spend time in this country the more I have looked in the mirror. It is comical to me and it will be a relief to come back to the states and not see a mirror everywhere I go.
Another thing that has already been stereotyped but reinforced since I have been here is the amount of pictures these people take. I am okay with them taking pictures of beautiful landscape or of themselves, but they take it to far. They dont just take 1 or 2 photos of the same thing, they take about 20 or 30 photos and it is not even of anything but themselves. They term it the self-picture, where they themselves hold the camera in front of them and take a picture by him or herself, or even together. They just snap away. A good example of this is I was coming back from Busan last night on the train and two rows in front of me there was this young couple taking photos of themselves for the whole hour while we were on the train. It was non-stop, and I just wanted to go to them and say ARE YOU SERIOUS. Of course it is none of my business, but while sitting on the train there is not much to do, so I watched them the whole time, laughing at how idiotic it was and hope I never come to that and if I do, I want some to take my camera and smash it.
So if you have read this far, you know that I went to Busan with my Korean friend for the day. Left in the afternoon, got to Busan and headed to this cliff, which was really nice. After that, we went to the center of the city to eat some famous mandu soup, which was really good. Next, we headed to the beach right before Haeundae beach. Relaxed at the beach for a while, then went to get a drink to watch the sunset and the bridge light up. It was a lot of traveling in one day, but well worth it.
Today, Sunday it was very hot so I posted up on my roof and tried to get some sun on my very pale skin. I think it went pretty well, and will not be a red lobster tomorrow.
Only a few more weeks until my mom, sis, and cherly come! Very excited.
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment