Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 8-11

So like I said in my last blog, that I am going to try to cut back on my drinking because I know for most that is not what you want to hear about, because I could easily being doing that in the states. However, when the weather constantly brings rain or like yesterday snow it is tough to travel and see the sights that I wish I could be viewing. Hopefully, in the coming weeks the weather will warm up and I can enjoy the outdoors again. Whehter or not the weather warms up for Saturday, I will be going paint balling, which I am excited about and nervous at the same time. Have never been before and do not know what to expect, but it shall be pretty cool.

This week Max and I made our first trip to Emart, which is their Wal-mart times 10. It is 3 stories, with each level being something different; floor 1 was food, 2- clothes, 3-electronics. I bought an mp3 shuffle for the gym, because my huge ipod can't handle anymore. Pretty excited about and ready to try it out on the treadmill because as you know I hate running, but have to get rid of this Santa fat. On our way home from Emart, we witnessed why Koreans are considered the rudest Asian culture. So we are stopped at a red light and we see this elderly woman flagging down a cab. She gets a cab to stop for her, but as she opens the door she wipes out and falls hard on the ground. Her heels fly off as well as her purse, while the cab door remains open. The cab driver doesnt move from his position to help her. He just sits in the driver seat as she collects herself. She finally gets up and the cab driver drives off without her. I was shocked of what I just witnessed and hope that I would never see that in America.
Walking back to our apartment we passed the mom and pop restaurant that we used to always go to. Hadnt been there in a while, so as we were walking passed it they waved us in and told us that the food was on them for the night. We found out while we were eating, through Max's hard work at studying Korean and their son that they were closing the store that night. This was there last night in business and would be moving into another part of town. We talked for awhile and are going to schedule a family dinner with them. As we left I asked if I could take a stool from their store so I would always remember them. They let me have it. We said our goodbyes and are hopeful that we will see them again soon.

Wednesday night ate galbi with Jen, Jay, and Jay's mom and step dad who flew in for the week. It was a very enjoyable meal and ended up going to a bar afterwards with just Jay and Jen. His parents were very cool and enjoyed meeting them. Also thankful for them paying for the meal.

Thursday was a pretty good day. My new schedule has really kicked me in the butt because I only have one break for teaching 7 or 8 classes. So I am usually exhausted and really hungry by the end of the day, so are the students I teach. The students go to a ridiculous amount of school. The highschoolers are in school from 8am-11:30 at night. The middle schoolers have school from 8-2 then go to different hagwons, like english. I havent heard of a kid just going to one hagwon. They go to at least 7 or 8 a day.
After work headed downtown to meet Cynthia for dinner and a movie. Had a nice time and will probably see her again this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment