The weather seems like it is about to turn and we might be able to enjoy spring. The past few weeks the weather has shown glimpses of sunshine and warm weather, but it has also been rainy and cold, unusual for Daegu this time of year.
I am very excited for my dad and brother to arrive this Friday and enjoy the same experience I have been having for the last 5 months.
This past week flew by, even though teaching English seems to be really getting to me and really do not enjoy it. However, I am glad that I am teaching children, because they make the day go by quicker. In addition, the people I work with make the job enjoyable as well, even though one of my favorite teacher's (Sally) left to work at another school. It was very sad to see her go (this is the teacher who we went to their families house up in the country). On the other hand, I know she will be happy at her other school and we are definitely going to stay in touch.
Friday, went downtown and had some drinks with Jay and Evan. Kept it pretty low key, a lot of people stayed in because they were going to the Cherry Blossom festival the next day, even though to their surprise they hadn't bloomed yet because of the weather, I am assuming.
Saturday, I took it easy, went to the gym while Max and Ev played their final game of ultimate, where Max sprained his ankle. Didn't go out Saturday night.
Sunday was a beautiful day so I went to Herb Park with Jade. It reminded me of a mini-American Adventures. There were a bunch of families, rides, a flower garden, and a petting zoo. We spent the whole day there and then went to this very popular Mandu place (dumplings), which was very good. After that headed home and prepared myself for Monday.
Now, for those who haven't experienced another culture or lived in place with few westerners then you have not experienced people constantly starring at you or little children coming up to you on the street just to say 'hello.' I have gotten used to the starring and constants hello and even embrace because I think it is pretty funny how sheltered they people are. I think we are very fortunate as Americans to have such a diverse culture and not be such in awe when we see a someone of a different race or cultural background.
Friday at the gym, I was just beginning a work out when an older man came up to me, starred at me top to bottom just to say hello and walk away. There was another time this week, where a younger man who I have seen many times at the gym, but he has never said anything to me, but for some reason this day he came up to me to say hello, nice to meet you. We exchanged names and then he told me how it was such a unique experience to have me at the gym.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment